Thursday, June 25, 2015

Which White Is Right

Much knitting has been occurring as of late. Drogue is practically knitting itself. I was making the Captain size, but have come to realize that I will run out of the main color a few rows short of the edging, so I will probably do the Boatswain edging instead.

Onopordum is making great strides too. Although like every other sock I have ever knitted, I had a rip a little out. I'm doing the color work portions on US size 1 needles and the plain bits on US size 0 needles. Guess who forgot to switch to the smaller needles when knitting the heel.

I'm looking into what my next project will be and honestly, I still desire color work socks. I've decided on Sheep May Safely Graze with my handspun Enchanted. The question is, which white do I go with? On the left side is plain white Koigu, which has a slightly cooler tone. On the right is a skein of Tosh Sock in the Filtered Light color way that is a warmer cream with speckles. Since I don't have enough handspun, I'm planning to do the cuff, her, and toe out of the white.

Is Filtered Light too busy for the already busy handspun? Or is the plain white too plain for such large areas of knitting. And before someone suggests to use both, I'd rather use one or the other. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

5 comments :

Hayley said...

Plain white - the contrast will be nice!

Anonymous said...

I think the Filtered would be good because it has a tiny bit of colour which will go well with the handspun tones. If it's all plain the contrast I think will be too much. That's what I have experienced in the past with my colourwork in any event. Your projects are looking amazing, and I am super jealous of all your knitting time!!

Alicia said...

My first instinct is to go with the plain white, it'll make the sheep pop more and I don't think the cuff, heel, and toe are too much space to have plain white. However, there really isn't all that much color on the filtered light skein so if you're partial to that one, go for it! Especially since the Koigu looks a little thinner than the handspun yarn you have there.

DKnits said...

My first instinct is to go with the Filtered Light, but what if a tiny speckle arrives just at the moment you knit the single stitch eye of the her?
Tricky question....

Anonymous said...

As much as I love that Filtered Light colourway, I think plain white is safer. There are so many single-stitch of contrast areas, that a misplaced speckle might distract/mute a nice detail. It would be a great contrast to a more solid colourway, though!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...